It’s easy to fill up your kitchen with processed food to the point where you forget some of the basics. If you want to start stocking your cabinets with better options for your heart, stomach, and waistline, take a look at these 12 foods that are great for filling you up and keeping you healthy.
1. Black beans: They are a high-protein alternative to meat, and don’t have the saturated fats.
2. Breakfast oats: They’re high in fiber, meaning you’ll stay full for longer, and they also boost your metabolism.
3. Boneless, skinless chicken breast: This protein option has less fat than red meat, and is versatile enough to be used in almost any dish you can think of.
4. Avocados: These green fruits are full of fiber, protein, and good fats, and their creaminess makes them a substitute for butter in some recipes.
5. Almonds: They are high in healthy fats and make a great snack in between meals. If you’re looking for a nut to spice up your meal, pine nuts are a tasty, protein-packed option.
6. Salmon: This is a great lean source of protein, with a good amount of monounsaturated fats.
7. Frozen veggies: Since most are frozen fresh, you can buy in bulk and they’ll last longer. Broccoli a good staple, as it is a great source of fiber.
8. Canned tomatoes: They are a great source of lycopene, which will keep your heart healthy, and can be used in a number of recipes.
9. Eggs: While some people avoid them, eggs are high in protein and low calorie. If you’re leery of cholesterol, you can opt for egg whites instead.
10. Low-fat plain greek yogurt: This is perfect as a snack with fruit, or as a lower fat alternative to other cream-based items (such as mayo or sour cream).
11. Blueberries: Not only do these fiber-rich berries keep you full, they are also known for anti-aging effects.
12. Brown rice: It has more fiber than the white alternative, providing you with a fuller-feeling stomach for fewer calories.