- You need a flu vaccine EVERY YEAR for optimal protection.
- A YEARLY flu shot is needed because:
- Flu viruses are always changing and new vaccine is made each year so that the vaccine protects against the currently circulating flu viruses, and
- Immune protection from vaccination decreases over time so a flu shot is recommended every year for optimal protection
- It takes about TWO WEEKS after vaccination for the body to develop full protective immunity
- Flu activity usually peaks in February in the United States and can last as late as May. As long as flu viruses are circulating, it’s not too late to get your flu shot
- With flu activity increasing and family and friends gathering for the holidays, now is a great time to get a flu vaccine to protect yourself and your loved ones
**Next week, Dec 2-8, is National Flu Shot Week! The first cases of influenza are being seen across the MidWest. Have you gotten your flu shot yet? It’s not too late to protect yourself and your loved ones!
Pamela Wong, PharmD, NuHealth Wellness Team